Thursday 3 June 2010

Lazerproof, Perhaps; But Not Curriculum-Proof...


Diplo has released fairly groundbreaking stuff to date; his Piracy Funds Terrorism Mixtape was amongst this awesome output, along with Favela On Blast and Favela Strikes Back - 2 grimey and pretty amusing insights into the world of Brasilian Baile Funk; helping bring that sound to a wider audience.

The Favela On Blast film is all over torrent sites, and things seems to be going rather well for old Dippers...

...And then...

My scepticism about Diplo's latest collaborations leads me into this mixtape rather sheepishly; La Roux and Tiesto in the space of a couple of months? Really Diplo?

Sounds like someone wants another slice of the Commercial cake... or maybe the Royalties Pie...

The opening remix of the uber-overplayed "ladies' favourite" Bulletproof features pitched up vocals teamed with half step dub vibes.

As if, after a remix competition, I could stand to hear those same naff vox again, at yet another BPM... This orchestral take on La Roux's hit wouldn't have won the remix contest. And I have unticked it from my iTunes... That song is OVER.

My faith returns somewhat with the next dubby number; a delightful Jamaican heartbeat with pretty dreamy harmonies from La Roux. Something different; refreshing.

A few tracks later and a few either; " La Roux A Cappella + new instrumentals" or "La Roux instrumentals + new vocals" formulas into this mixtape, and, although I am mildly enjoying what's going on (and there is a lot of stuff I recognise as a result of La Roux's successful radio runs and I think at this point 'recognition' can be mistaken for 'enjoyment'), this whole concept seems disgustingly contrived...

And oh god here comes the autotune ghetto vocals. Get me out of here..!

Hold on, next track, that sounds like a Rusko bassline...

Yes. It's a Rusko bassline.

Funny, for a little while I thought Major Lazer had an ounce of integrity, but this is pure pop, pure money making.

I knew Diplo was a business man, but this is pretty ridiculous. It isn't that the music is in anyway BAD, it just isn't nearly as interesting, groundbreaking, experimental as I hoped it would be; total and utter radio-friendliness.

This is an album for La Roux fans, (The Death Of) Dubstep fans, and girls with skull candy headphones...

The 'SMD does Boy 8-Bit'-esque remix of Quicksand is pretty cool, that has to be said, but i would take those steel drums over it any day.

I feel like Diplo is confused. I feel like he is naive even, to work with such big artists and not expect fans like me to moan...

This mixtape is fun. I will admit that. And i know umpteen girls that will have it on repeat on their iPods... BUT I wanted something more; I wanted something special, and instead I have been given a faux lo-fi faux Jamaican-market-cassette rip of La Roux covers.

Lazerproof is an interesting take on what is going on in the contemporary mainstream, and certainly a good listen, but I find a lot of it baffling. Some odd decisions, and I was really hoping for something with an edge.

Meh.

Get yourself a copy of the Lazerproof Mixtape HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Template Created by : smadamr